If you think that selecting the right hair color is as easy as ABC, think again. In choosing the appropriate hair color, you need to consider these two important things: your skin tone and your skin’s undertone.
Certainly, hair experts agree that it is essential to match apt hair color to one’s complexion as hair color can drastically affect your appearance, making your skin tone appear vibrant or dull. Thus, getting the right hair color that complements your skin tone is essential not only for aesthetic reasons but also for boosting one’s confidence as it makes you look younger.
Moreover, it is best that you factor in your skin’s undertone. Hair professionals suggest that the effortless way to know it is via a “wrist test”. Check your wrist under a natural light and see the color of your veins. If your vein appears blue or purple in hue, your skin undertone is cool-toned. Meanwhile, green and yellow veins mean that your skin is warm-toned. A good hair colorist understands that the skin tone including its undertone determines the appropriate shade for your hair.
Take note of the following skin tones and its complementing hair color.
- Fair skin with Cool Undertones. Go for lighter or cool blonde hair shades like platinum and baby blonde.
- Fair skin with Warm Undertones. Choose copper red, butterscotch, rust, golden blonde, strawberry and caramel toned-hair dye to bring out the warmth in your skin. Avoid anything black as it can appear too harsh against your skin tone. If you have very warm undertones, avoid warm blonde, as too much yellow can make you look pale.
- Medium skin with Cool Undertones. This skin color can complement any hair color; however, avoid going for total extremes. The best color that suits well with your skin tone is natural medium to light brown like walnut hue. You can also wear warm black shades like dark mocha, cocoa, or brown-black.
Taylor Swift is an example of an individual who possesses medium skin with cool undertones. If you want a reddish-toned hair, go for a medium auburn shade or a cast of cinnamon hue.
- Medium Skin with Warm Undertones. Hollywood star, Jessica Alba has a medium skin with warm undertones. Hair colorists approve that this type of complexion goes well with the following warm brown shades of warm butterscotch, golden brown, honey, amber, mahogany, or cinnamon. You can also opt to go for copper and golden red to match your complexion. Stay away from pale or cool blonde for it will appear unnatural.
- Olive Skin with Cool Undertones. Use a darker base with touches of caramel or honey blonde to show incredible texture. Reddish-browns like chestnut, autumn, and cinnamon blend well with this skin tone. You may consider, too, warmer blacks like mocha to show the smooth appearance of the skin.
- Olive skin with warm undertones. If your skin color is like Jennifer Lopez, hair experts suggest going for deep golden and caramel hues. Ebony and mocha tones are also strikingly stunning. Pick colors under violet reds to keep colors deep and rich. Violet blacks can do wonders to your appearance as it brings out a striking appeal for those under this type of complexion. Cool black hair shades like licorice, blue-black or true black complement well under this type of skin tone as these colors can give almost porcelain-doll look to your skin. Those who prefer blonde, choose the honey-based tone.
- Deep Skin with Cool Undertones. Consider these hues under this type of complexion: black, espresso, blue-blacks, and deep violet shades. To highlight your hair, choose cool hues regardless of brown, blue-red or platinum blonde.
- Deep skin with warm undertones. Cool brown shades like chestnut, mocha, dark chocolate, dark auburn, caramel and toffee family brighten up this type of complexion. They also enhance skin’s natural radiance.
Warm black, too, makes an ideal color that best complement this kind of complexion.
Hair experts reiterate that in picking the best hair color, stay within two levels of lightness or darkness of your current natural color as this will keep your looks the most natural.
To help you achieve your best hair color possible, Novelina Cosmetics introduces Novelina Zeelke Cream Hair Color. This Japanese formulation and do-it-yourself permanent line of hair color provide a wider range of hair colors as it uses quality ingredients to achieve your desired hair color. It doesn’t sting and doesn’t have a harsh odor. Novelina Zeelke Cream Hair Color’s gentle formulation prevents hair from drying while its color remains vibrant for a long time. This cream hair color is less viscous, allowing quick and even penetration on the scalp. It does not irritate the skin or the scalp as well as it does not stain your skin or scalp. Available hair colors include Natural Black, Asian Black, Brown, Dark Brown, Chestnut Brown, Golden Brown, Crimson Red, and Burgundy.
For only P165.00, Novelina Zeelke Cream Hair Color comes with a professional hair color kit, which includes: 60g professional hair color, 2 oz developer, Novelina Shampoo and Conditioner, hairbrush and gloves.
Novelina Zeelke Cream Hair Color is so easy to use. First, transfer the contents of Novelina Zeelke Cream Hair Color of your choice into a bottle containing cream developer. Shake well to mix. Second, apply the product to the hair using the brush. The third step is to comb your hair properly to distribute evenly the color onto your hair. The fourth step is to leave your newly colored hair for 20-30 minutes for regular color conditioning. The fifth and last step is to use Novelina Shampoo and Conditioner then rinse.